Our Vision and Policy
At Herman Miller we believe the future quality of human life is dependent on both economic vitality and a healthy, sustainable natural environment. We do not see these goals as mutually exclusive, but inextricably linked. Mankind's future depends on meeting the needs and aspirations of a growing global population, while enhancing and protecting the ecosystem on which all life depends.
In 2004, we put into place a set of environmental goals that included zero operational footprint and 100 percent green energy. Ten years later, we had largely achieved these goals, with a 91 percent reduction in our footprint, and we’d been using 100 percent of our energy from renewable resources for over three years. Given the progress toward these goals, we believed it was time to expand our efforts in advocating for the environment.
Our new 10-year sustainability strategy, Earthright, begins with three principles: positive transparency, products as living things, and becoming greener together. We have sharpened our goals around the smart use of resources, eco-inspired design, and becoming community driven. Most importantly, we are finding new ways to involve more employees, suppliers, and customers.
Our commitment is to achieve these goals by 2023:
- Zero waste
- 50% less water use (30M gallons)
- 50% reduction in energy intensity
- 50% more local renewables (50,000 mwh)
- 100% Design for the Environment-approved products
- 100% level 3 certified products
- 125,000 tons of product taken back per year
We recognize the challenges inherent in setting and meeting these goals, but we believe the exercise of sound strategic thinking across our enterprise, coupled with evolving technologies, will enable us to achieve our objectives. Engaging everyone in our community in this endeavor is vital. Our executive leadership has clearly outlined this commitment.
Herman Miller's Environmental Policy Statement
Herman Miller is committed to sustainable business practices in everything we do. Our corporate environmental goals are a key metric of our business success. On the journey toward sustainable business practices, through continual improvement, we will:
- Go beyond compliance with environmental regulations and other requirements.
- Pursue prevention of pollution and elimination of waste of any kind.
- Implement technologies to efficiently use energy resources.
- Design our products, processes, and buildings for the environment.
- Promote environmental knowledge and awareness.