Our Vision and Policy
At Herman Miller we believe the future quality of human life is dependent on both economic vitality and a healthy, sustainable natural environment. We do not see these goals as mutually exclusive, but inextricably linked. Mankind's future depends on meeting the needs and aspirations of a growing global population, while enhancing and protecting the ecosystem on which all life depends.
In keeping with our pledge to strive for economic, environmental, and social equity, we have launched "Perfect Vision," a broad initiative that sets significant sustainability targets for the year 2020, including:
- Zero landfill
- Zero hazardous waste generation
- Zero air emissions (VOC)
- Zero process water use
- 100 percent green electrical energy use
- Company buildings constructed to a minimum LEED Silver certification
- 100 percent of sales from DfE-approved products
We recognize the challenges inherent in setting such goals, but we believe the exercise of sound strategic thinking across our enterprise, coupled with evolving technologies, will enable us to achieve our objectives.
Herman Miller's Environmental Policy Statement
Approved by the Chief Executive Officer and Executive Leadership Team January 2010
Herman Miller is committed to sustainable business practices in everything we do. Our corporate environmental goals are a key metric of our business success. On the journey toward sustainable business practices, through continual improvement, we will:
- Go beyond compliance with environmental regulations and other requirements.
- Pursue prevention of pollution and elimination of waste of any kind.
- Implement technologies to efficiently use energy resources.
- Design our products, processes, and buildings for the environment.
- Promote environmental knowledge and awareness.