Herman Miller Healthcare and Nemschoff Make Healthy Strides With Latest Introductions
June 10, 2011
Opening the doors to new possibilities in the world of healthcare, industry leading Herman Miller, Inc., Herman Miller, Inc., with subsidiaries Herman Miller Healthcare and Nemschoff, unveil a variety of leading-edge interior solutions to enhance healthcare spaces at NeoCon 2011 (# 3-330). Designed with patients and families in mind, the newest furnishings—from restful sleep sofas to visually appealing casegoods—strengthen designers' opportunities to make healthcare environments places of warmth, comfort and most of all, healing.
"The healing process starts first with the mindset of the patient and his or her support system," said Kent Gawart, Chief Operating Officer, Nemschoff. "Through our partnership with Herman Miller Healthcare we are able to provide end users with the most comprehensive portfolio of groundbreaking and flexible furnishings available for the healthcare environment."
With a variety of sizes, shapes and leg features available, all of the furnishing products from Herman Miller Healthcare and Nemschoff offer a transitional design that can easily flow from room to room, from training areas, conference rooms, workstations and lobbies.
"Our portfolio's breadth provides an incredible range of possibilities for architects and designers to create vibrant, fresh healthcare spaces that accommodate the evolving needs of caregivers, their patients and their families," continued Gawart. "By using real world R & D in the development of our furnishings, we not only create an efficient workplace, but also a welcoming atmosphere suited for patient restoration and recovery."
Revolutionary Healthcare Solutions
The Herman Miller Healthcare Compass System (Compass) continues to revolutionize how designers and end-users address the constant state of change in healthcare spaces with the introduction of updated enhancements to the cutting-edge interior solution, including:
- Additional storage, including new lower units, can be reconfigured, allowing for extension into wider applications.
- Lighting capabilities designed to be adjustable to meet all user applications.
- ADA-compliant sink option helps users meet the diverse needs of patients, as well as offers the same infection prevention features—including reduced splashing—found in the original sink.
The latest Pamona Collection developed by Nemschoff offers comfort to patients, guests and caregivers alike through clean, comfortable furnishings. Ideal for any healthcare environment, the modern lounge pieces fit effortlessly into a contemporary design.
- Pamona SleepOver Flop Sofa: The clean, fashionable Nemschoff sleep sofa offers patients, guests and caregivers a chance to recharge. The curvature of the piece's arms both soothes and supports. The sofa also features wallsaver legs, folding back cushions, replaceable components and a supportive sleep surface, adding to the furnishing's practical versatility.
- Pamona Lounge Collection: Designed in collaboration with David Allan Pesso of New Studio, LLC, the sophisticated lounge features a clean-cut design and wallsaver legs. Easy cleanability is a key design feature to promote infection control. It is available in one, two or three seat models with coordinating tables and sleep products.
- Pamona Table Collection: This contemporary table was specifically designed for healthcare facilities, with Nemschoff healthcare wood finish options, replaceable components and durable construction. It easily coordinates with the Pamona SleepOver Flop Sofa or Pamona Lounge Collection.
A major challenge in healthcare design is integrating the necessary furnishings without overcrowding patients, limiting guests or inhibiting caregivers. Nemschoff's products overcome this hurdle by providing big comfort with small footprints:
- Brooklyn 770-1 and 770-22: The Brooklyn family of products includes modern tables and patient seating solutions. Providing maximum comfort, the latest Brooklyn seating options allow placement in lobby areas where space is at a premium.
Nemschoff's latest overbed table offers convenient storage without sacrificing comfort, space and maneuverability:
- Oasis Overbed: Meeting the need for maximum utilization of critical surface space, this overbed controls clutter. It provides dedicated compartments to organize healthcare items and affords patients a chance to own their space. Rounded edges and casters also allow for easy access and reconfiguration by caregivers.
Home Sweet Hospital
To counterbalance the stress oftentimes found in the halls of a healthcare environment or waiting room, Nemschoff furnishings help transform the interior into a warm, welcoming space - providing a sense of peace, serenity and possibility to patients and visitors.
- Steps: Developed in collaboration with Brian Kane of Kane Design Studio, Steps makes use of sections to form serpentine and in-line forms, and has the power to create boundaries within open spaces to accommodate a variety of seating areas. Steps includes furnishing options of varying heights - from high back seating solutions to flat benches - to allow areas of openness and/or privacy that can be used to direct the flow of visitors.
- Harmon Lounge: With three back options - wood, wood slat or upholstery - and three arm cap inset options - upholstery, urethane or wood - this customizable lounge is an ideal fit for healthcare interiors, from lobbies to reception areas.
- Terra Casegoods: Creating a softer aesthetic while still maintaining healthcare qualifications, Terra Casegoods features ease of cleaning for infection control, durability and Nemschoff healthcare wood finish. Terra Casegoods is designed to support the needs of patients and their guests, conveying a sense of comfort and order through elegant details and a clean aesthetic.
With input from internal clinical and application strategists and healthcare designers, these latest introductions prove Herman Miller's and its two subsidiaries'—Nemschoff and Herman Miller Healthcare—longstanding commitment to enrich the healing environment for patients, their families and healthcare professionals, through adaptive environments driven by evidence-based design.
About Herman Miller's Healthcare Businesses
Herman Miller Healthcare and Nemschoff bring over 40 years of experience and a deep understanding of healthcare environments to help clients think strategically about their space—beyond furniture. They leverage this rich insight and an unparalleled product offering to create adaptive environments across the care continuum that are better for patients and smarter for business. Through a network of clinical strategists, clinical designers, and sales professionals, the companies provide research-based, problem-solving solutions to improve working and healing environments. Herman Miller is a charter member of the Health Facility Institute; a Research Partner with the Center for Health Design; and an Industry Partner of the American Academy of Healthcare Interior Design.