March 16, 2012
Here’s a quick look at what we’ve been reading this week on the Web.
1. Stylist Home’s “Surprising Uses for Pencils in an Office.”
2. The Art of Non-Conformity’s feature on this one-page career cheat sheet.
3. Apartment Therapy Tech reader Aya’s Setu side chair (above) — looks smart in her bright basement home office.
4. Speaking of interesting home offices, we think this pre-fab treehouse on Treehugger would make a good one.
5. Wanken’s post on the geometric illustrations of Justin Mezzell (check out the two Eames Lounge Chairs at the bottom — clever).
6. Take a look at these leather and stone paperweights found on Reference Library.
7. Appreciating the interoffice-envelope inspiration behind this chest at Field Day.
8. We’ve got four words for this house in Aroeira, Portugal by Aires Mateus: Herman Miller Collection Outdoor (via Yatzer).
9. The article on hyperconnectivity and how to manage it in The Economist.
10. And if you can’t disconnect, you can at least accessorize your smartphone with this roundup from Design*Sponge.
Photo: Aya Ishihara/Apartment Therapy Tech
March 15, 2012
In no time at all spring will be sprung and you along with it. Here are a few spring flings to bring you out of doors. Read more
March 14, 2012
Art director/graphic designer Erin Jang got her start working in New York City for magazines like Martha Stewart Living and Esquire. She recently set out on her own to open The Indigo Bunting, a studio where she continues to focus on magazine design and illustration as well as custom invitations and paper goods. Her latest project, Food Sketches, might inspire your 4pm snack craving today. Listen up to the music mix that keeps her humming in our newest Playlist. Read more
March 13, 2012
Are you on email overload? Apartment Therapy Tech just offered up advice from tech and culture blogger Sean Bonner on making email communications better for everyone involved. Sean advocates keeping the message short and to the point using acronyms that indicate whether or not a recipient needs to respond. Would you welcome these in your office in-box? Read more
March 12, 2012
Looking for a good time? Here are six ways to keep time on your side, whether you’re springing forward or falling back. Read more
Balance, Design, Technology
March 9, 2012
Here’s where we’ve been keeping ourselves.
1. SF Girl By Bay’s coverage of this Norwegian home (check out how its small workspace, above, incorporates a Magis Chair_One).
2. LA Times’ look at Lisa Ling’s new Santa Monica house.
3. Solo, an easy-on-the-eyes project management tool for “the modern freelancer” (via Design You Trust).
4. Pippa Lord’s photo collection of home-office inspiration at sousstyle.com.
5. Dwell’s “Coolest Homes for Artists & Art Collectors” article and slideshow.
6. This amenity pouch by the Eames Office for American Airlines makes us want to travel even more. (via NOTCOT).
7. The Poppin blog’s roundup of business card resources.
8. The Instagram feed for Shades Detroit Graffiti (congrats on the new Embody Chair).
9. Did you spot the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman in Apple’s video for the new iPad?
10. Apartment Therapy Tech’s friendly reminder of the things that are important. (So take a break outside after you finish reading this, won’t you?)
Photo: Trine Thorsen for Elle Decoration
March 8, 2012
Maybe it’s because there will be a little more daylight in a few short days (mark your calendars: Daylight Saving starts Sunday). Or perhaps it’s that, in less than two weeks, the spring season will officially arrive (first day: March 20). More than likely, it’s due in part to having the Herman Miller Collection Outdoor on our minds. Either way, we’ve been staring out the office window a bit more than usual lately. What’s your view right now? Read more
March 7, 2012
This week, Herman Miller introduced the Herman Miller Collection Outdoor–which is why we found it fitting to feature the playlist of Ricki Grady, a former graphic designer and now garden writer and author of the book BeBop Garden. Listen to the mix that you may just hear playing in (or outside of) her cozy nest of a studio near Portland, Oregon. Read more
March 6, 2012
Wake up your desk with lighting that stays on task (and looks great while doing it) with these six smart picks. Read more
March 5, 2012
Inspired by this Financial Times article on “the joys of working out of a backyard hideaway,” TreeHugger recently put together a roundup of home-office garden sheds. Here are a few we could spend a little time working in (such as the modular House Arc, above). Read more