April 30, 2012
Powder-coat finishes have been a part of metal components for some time at Herman Miller. Used on everything from furniture to kitchen utensils, it eliminates VOCs, eases renewal and recycling, and delivers a clean, incredibly even finish. Here’s six designs you’ll find coated in powder. Read more
April 27, 2012
A look at all the places we’ve been throughout the last week.
1. “The Home Office – a Visual Guide” from The Globe and Mail
2. The New York Times‘ feature on photographer Julius Shulman, who was known for shooting the Eames House in Los Angeles (among many others).
3. Want to see more of the Eames house? Get a look inside with these videos at Mental Floss.
4. Inspired by this office in the woods found by Inthralld.
5. Lots of smart advice over at workfromhomewisdom.com.
6. The video of the Dragon Skin Pavilion of hi-tech bent wood at Co.Design.
7. “Why Eames Matters” at Maharam.
8. “Email Tips: 5 Ways to Get Action” at Inc.
9. Creative Director Garrett Murray’s review of the Mirra Chair — and his thoughts on our Embody Chair — on Maniacal Rage. (And don’t forget — you can now share your own reviews at the Herman Miller store.)
10. Another reminder: today is Arbor Day. Learn about it at arborday.org…then get outside and celebrate.
April 26, 2012
Whether you’re a road warrior or someone who prefers to take your work outside, you’ll appreciate these apps that help you get work done on both the iPad and Android, as reviewed by Joelle Alcaidinho (a former Playlister) from Apartment Therapy Tech. Read more
April 25, 2012
For the majority of his professional life Chris Brigham worked as a graphic designer. Just a few years ago, however, he decided to take a leap toward something he was truly cut out for: furniture design. Together with some good exposure and a little luck, his inspired work allowed him to bring Knife & Saw to life. In fact, you’ve probably seen Chris’s work already. Knife & Saw is home to the award-winning Bike Shelf, a sublimely elegant solution for keeping your wheels indoors. Along with a few Eames Molded Plywood Lounge Chairs, he lives, works — and listens to today’s Playlist — in San Francisco. Read more
Balance, Design, Products
April 24, 2012
There’s no getting around it. Sometimes you just have to leave things hanging. Here are six innovative ways to do just that. Read more
April 23, 2012
We know So for the graphic design and photography work it’s created for Herman Miller in the UK (see an example here). And now we know it for its inspiring surroundings: a converted barn in Bristol in the southwest of England. In his own words, Creative Director Steve Haskins gives us a personal tour. Read more
April 20, 2012
April is Earth Month and National Stress Awareness Month. And in that spirit, here’s a special edition of our weekly Top Ten featuring posts that will help you take on both. (Now, relax a bit and enjoy Earth Day on Sunday, won’t you?)
1. SAYL Chair and Ardea Personal Light designer Yves Béhar talks about how sustainability creates better products at PSFK.
2. Is turning off your smartphone more or less stressful? (via Huffington Post)
3. Forbes tells you how and why to ignore your inbox…
4. …and if that doesn’t work for you, at least clean up your GMail with these pro tips from GOOD.
5. The Brick House Tumblr (currently starting with our eco-friendly Eames Molded Plastic Sidechair).
6. This naturally smart wooden tablet stand featured at swissmiss.
7. 4 Secrets of Great Critical Thinkers at Inc.
8. Inthralld’s peek at this fully recyclable and sustainable prefab cottage (would make an interesting home office).
9. A fascinating way to reuse books at Colossal.
10. The history of Earth Day at Inhabitat.
Photo: via Inthralld and broadhurstarchitects.com
Balance, Design, Products
April 19, 2012
If you’re anything like us, staying eco is always on your mind. In honor of Earth Day 2012, here are six items that can help you continue to be kind to our environment — and create a better world around you. Read more
April 18, 2012
Today’s Playlist comes from designer and illustrator Katie Kirk. Together with her husband Nathan Standberg, Katie runs Eight Hour Day, a multidisciplinary design boutique. You’ve probably seen Katie’s work already, like the beautifully illustrated children’s book “Eli, No!” or perhaps EHD’s work for Target and Old Navy. When she’s not at the studio, where they recently added a couple Eames Molded Plastic Chairs, she and Nate are hitting up the dog parks and antique shoppes in their new home of San Francisco. Katie aspires to live a designed life(style) where work, play, and inspiration are all equal and integrated organically. Here’s the music she’s integrated into her lifestyle. Read more
April 17, 2012
For the past eight years, Apartment Therapy has been conducting its “Small Cool” contest, which lets readers post photos of their compact spaces (1,000 square space or less) in order to earn a shot at the prestigious annual title. This year, thanks to Gregory Han of Apartment Therapy Tech, we’re noticing a few home offices featuring Herman Miller pieces (like the Eames Molded Plastic Side Chair with Wood Dowel Base in the Seattle home of contest entrants Lauren and Kyle). Take a look at some of the workspaces on our radar, then cast a vote for your favorite here. Read more