November 30, 2012
Check out what we’ve been reading this week.
1. The tour of the Craver family home in Littleton, Colorado, at Apartment Therapy.
2. Co.Design’s coverage of our Why Design series (with particular emphasis on this interview with Sam Hecht and Kim Colin).
3. “Ray’s Displays: The Thoughtful Displays of Ray Eames” at the Archives of American Art blog.
4. House Beautiful‘s 10 Home Decorating Trends That Will Be Hot in 2013.
5. Modern homes. Snowy surroundings. Cozy interiors. All in Dwell’s “Winter Wonderland.”
6. This smart concept for a small space (430 feet, to be exact) at Home Designing.
7. The launch of the George Nelson Foundation’s new website, created by Hello Design, at georgenelsonfoundation.org.
8. The home of Danish designer Birgitte Rabens at the Style Files.
9. This pair of ancient Irish stone cottages linked by a modern glass stairway at Home Design Find.
10. The optical-illusion facade on the Academie MWD performance center in Belgium featured at Dezeen.
November 29, 2012
If you find yourself stretching your sore neck and back, rubbing your dry eyes, swallowing a lump of dry nothing, or gasping for clean air, you might be the victim of some unhealthy home-office habits. But it’s never too late to make a change. Check out these five quick reminders from Apartment Therapy Tech for a better you at your desk, then take a look at more tips from Herman Miller’s research on ergonomics for working in a safe, effective way during your work day. Read more
November 28, 2012
Based in Pontiac, Michigan, artist April Wagner owns and operates a private, state-of-the-art hot glass facility – the largest in the Midwest – called Epiphany Studios. Blowing glass for nearly 20 years, April has created some of the most unique and striking pieces imaginable, from small glass gifts and contemporary glass vessels to large private sculptures and corporate installations. Stepping away from the heat of glass blowing, April and her assistants Ally and Nicole share the beats behind Epiphany in this week’s Playlist.
November 27, 2012
We recently discovered architect Edward Ogosta‘s rendering of “Hybrid Office,” a yet-to-be-built project he conceived for a creative media agency of 30 workers. The workspace, which would fill an existing 6,000-square-foot concrete warehouse in Los Angeles, would employ a series of “hybrid-objects,” which exist “somewhere between furniture and architecture.” Ogasta explains: Read more
November 26, 2012
Make holiday shopping easier now through December 10 with our annual Herman Miller Sale, where you can save a storewide 15% on everything from an Aeron Chair to the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. Here’s just six of the many favorites on sale now for home, home office, and small business.
November 23, 2012
Here’s what we’ve been reading throughout this holiday week.
1. The Real Parque Loft in São Paulo by Brazilian architect and designer Diego Revollo, via Design Milk (as is the photo above).
2. The thinking behind the Eames “x-base” at Eames Designs.
3. The use of color in the GMG House by Pedro Gadanho in Portugal via Yatzer.
4. The guest post on a rooftop apartment in Paris (nice Noguchi Table and Eames Molded Plywood Chair) over at sfgirlbybay.
5. This mid-century modern home in Denver shot by David Lauer (whose home office we recently toured) on Plastolux.
6. The open and airy church-turned-loft in the Netherlands featured on ArchDaily (we like those Magis Bombo Stools tucked into the kitchen area).
7. Could these tree tents at Cool Hunting be an interesting outdoor-office option?
8. The cliff-hanging Casa del Acantilado in Alicante, Spain, at Minimalissimo.
9. This public library concept featured at The Fox Is Black.
10. Thisispaper’s look at the serene Case Inlet Retreat in Puget Sound, WA.
Photo: Via Design Milk
November 22, 2012
Wherever you gather today, we hope it’s full of family, friends, and lots of laughter and long talks around a bountiful table. Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Lifework!
In above photo: Eames Table with Round Top and Segmented Base and Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chairs with Metal Bases, all 15% off through December 10 in the Herman Miller Store.
November 21, 2012
The work of artist and designer Jason Keenan spans an eclectic range of interests and disciplines, from automotive and product design, to painting and illustration, and, at one point, DJ’ing. After 10 years in the automotive industry, Jason founded his own studio to focus not only on design but also his own artistic and inventive explorations. From his aurally-enabled workspace, Jason puts the needle on the records for this week’s Playlist.
November 20, 2012
We’ve talked before about the pros and cons of the growing telecommuting trend. But what happens when you’re suddenly a full-time telecommuter, not by choice, but by circumstance? We chatted with several office goers in the New York City metro area (including a few of our own from Herman Miller) who found themselves having to work from home after Hurricane Sandy struck the region. Now that their routines are getting somewhat back to “normal,” we asked them what they learned — and found that their combined experiences offer a few gentle reminders on how you can try to find the balance you need to successfully work from a home office (in less extreme situations, we certainly hope!). Read more
November 19, 2012
Starting today through December 10, you can get 15% off everything you need to furnish your home or office (or any space in between). Click here to shop our storewide Holiday Sale now and save.