Are you planning to explore “Bivouac,” Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec’s dynamic, mid-career exhibition, at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago? Here’s a selection of six Chicago to-dos, perfect for getting the most out of the Windy City.
1. Bistronomic - Continue the contemporary French theme with a visit to Bistronomic, a modern-day bistro offering updated translations of classic French favorites. Enjoy a glass of wine with artisanal cheeses and charcuterie and you might just stay for dinner. Bistronomic, 312-944-8400, 840 N. Wabash, Chicago, IL 60611.
2. Barrelhouse Flat - Catch a cab up to the buzzing neighborhood of Lincoln Park for a hot toddy or any of head bartender Stephen Cole’s 70 classic cocktails. Barrelhouse Flat, 773-857-0421, 2624 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago, IL 60614.
3. The Second City - While you’re up in Lincoln Park, catch a show at the fabled 50-year-old home of comedy titans like Bill Murray, John Belushi, and Tina Fey. With events just about every night, catching a show at perhaps the most influential comedy theatre in the world is a no-brainer. The Second City, 312-337-3992, 1616 N. Wells St, Chicago, IL 60614.
4. Christkindlemarket Chicago - If yours is a December visit, peruse the Christkindlemarket at Daley Plaza. Find ornaments, crafts and home décor as well as tasty sweets and savory treats at this open-air German-American holiday market. Christkindlemarket, Daley Plaza, 50 W. Washington Street, Chicago, IL 60602.
5. Charlie Brown and the Great Exhibit, Museum of Science + Industry - If you hit the MCA with the kids, reward their great behavior with a trip to see the evolution of Charlie Brown, his friends, and his creator Charles Schulz, now through February 13. Museum of Science + Industry, 773-684-1414, 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60637.
6. Chicago Architecture Foundation, L Train Tours - From this unique vantage point, expert docents present Chicago’s complex architectural details as well as how the L train has evolved over its century-long life. The CAF also offers walking, bus, bike, and Segway tours. Check out the CAF for more info. 312-922-3432, 224 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60604.
The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, featuring the exhibition “Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec: Bivouac,” is located at 220 East Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60611. Bivouac continues through January 20, 2013.
Photos linked within the text.