Brooklyn writer and editor Amy Feezor has spent her career crafting copy for magazines like Real Simple, where she's spent the last five years. She's an avid traveler who obsesses over design, food, and photography at m-dashing.com
May 23, 2013
Six years ago, Gavin Froome set out with friend Mike Bernard to explore the Pacific Northwest coastline — and its legacy of modernist architecture. The result is “Coast Modern,” an independent documentary that’s been featured in festivals across the globe and is about to show again on June 4 at the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles. Between touring for the film and his work as a freelance art director and music producer, he showed us around his bright, clean-lined Vancouver studio. Read more
Design, Products, Trends
May 20, 2013
For this year’s New York Design Week, Herman Miller raised a toast — and gave special guests a glimpse of upcoming designs — at the High Line room of the Standard in downtown Manhattan’s Meatpacking District. Read more
Balance, Design, Trends
May 16, 2013
Warmer weather delivers a few extra excuses for breaking out a bicycle for your work commute — or for just taking a break during a long day in your home office. In honor of tomorrow’s Bike to Work Day, here’s how a few work spaces accommodate the larger, sometimes unwieldy bodies of bicycles into their interior design (something we know a little bit about here at Herman Miller). Read more
May 14, 2013
The shared home office of photographer Christy Cassano-Meyer and web developer Kyle Meyer is a charming blend of vintage and modern style. Take a look through their creative space in Portland, Oregon, in this tour led by Christy’s words and photographic eye. Read more
May 10, 2013
Here is a look at what we’ve been bookmarking this week.
1. NYCxDESIGN, New York City’s inaugural event to showcase and promote design of all disciplines, starts today and runs through May 21.
2. “12 Homes Made from Shipping Containers” at Design Milk.
3. This piece on the power of co-working spaces by the New York Times.
4. Esoteric Survey’s post on photos of the Eames House from the Aline and Eero Saarinen Papers.
5. Dexinger’s look at our new Mirra 2 work chair by Studio 7.5.
6. This mid-century modern home in Phoenix, Arizona, renovated by John P. Twigg and Steve Watson at Plastolux.
7. The light-filled Berlin home by architectural firm + Quehl Miethe featured at automatism.
8. Inthralld’s look at the loft that houses boutique billboard company Prince Media Co. in New York City.
9. Info on “Michigan Modern: Design that Shaped America,” an exhibit beginning June 14 at Cranbrook Art Museum, on Dwell.com.
10. Another not-to-be-missed exhibition: Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec’s retrospective show at Les Arts Decoratif in Paris beginning September 1. Details at It’s Nice That.
Featured in photo: Osso Chair by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
May 9, 2013
How much creativity can be produced within one co-working space? Plenty, if you consider that this personality-packed workspace — courtesy of illustrator, art director, and artist Will Bryant — is within a stone’s throw of the desk of Kate Bingaman-Burt, an illustrator who gave us a look around her office digs just last month. Get a new perspective on their shared studio (also the headquarters for three other illustrators/designers) in this newest tour from Portland, Oregon. Read more
May 7, 2013
He may be a full-time web designer and developer, but one look at the home workspace of Brad Cerasani and you know he’s also got music in his blood. In fact, the owner of the web shop Shedbot has written, recorded, and produced two albums with a trio called Hoist from his Winnipeg, Manitoba-based studio. Get a look at the high-tech haven in this latest tour. Read more
May 3, 2013
Take a look at what’s on our radar this week.
1. Beautiful photography of modern interiors captured by Michael Wells via Plastolux.
2. This interview with brothers Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec on the Magis Facebook page.
3. Impressed by the launch of the new home decor site Domaine (and glad to see its love for Charles and Ray Eames).
4. Inspired by clue #4 in our “Everywhere in Your Day” contest: “Insane Photos Snapped From Kites” from Architizer.
5. “Brilliant Words of Advice from 14 Great Graphic Designers” (including Charles Eames) via Co.Design.
6. Contemporist’s feature on the simple elegance of Casa Sulla Morella by Studio Cittaarchitettura in Castelnovo di Sotto, Italy.
7. The fluorescent shades of green, yellow, and blue in this sports hall design in the Netherlands by Slangen + Koenis Architects (via Dezeen).
8. “Bold, punchy, in-your-face sculptures” by artist Matt W. Moore featured at It’s Nice That.
9. Interior Design‘s look back at the ”greatest hits” of Maharam, the textile company recently acquired by Herman Miller.
10. Don’t forget: May 5 is the last day to enter for a chance to win in our “Everywhere in Your Day” contest. Click here to find out more.
Featured in photo: Eames Desk Unit, Eames Storage Unit, and Eames Molded Plastic Chair by Charles and Ray Eames