June 12, 2013
Designer, illustrator, and optimistic modernist: all good ways to describe San Francisco-based creative Brent Couchman. Before coming to the bay, Brent worked for Fossil in Texas doing branding, packaging, and illustration. Since arriving out west he’s worked for Hatch Design, gone solo with clients like Google, Facebook, and Herman Miller, and been named to Young Guns 9 by the Art Directors Club. This week, Brent gets the lead out with his own work Playlist. Check it out.
June 7, 2013
Here’s what caught our eye this week.
1. “An Idea Whose Time Has Come,” Metropolis Magazine’s in-depth look at Herman Miller’s new “Living Office” vision.
2. The renovation of this charming 1920s bungalow in Venice, California, by Frank Clementi and Julie Smith-Clementi (via California Home + Design).
3. Apartment Therapy’s announcement of the winners of its Small Cool Contest 2013. Congrats!
4. The annual Pavilion structure from London’s Serpentine Gallery, this year designed by Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto, covered at It’s Nice That.
5. Core 77′s new series on understanding wood material.
6. The Refuge du Goûter, an eco-friendly “high-altitude hotel,” now the highest building in France (via Inhabitat).
7. A video from Dezeen featuring designer Stephen Burks explaining how the High Line elevated park in New York City is helping to transform the surrounding area.
8. The interior of this clean-lined loft space in London designed by Craft Design via Contemporist.
9. News of “Essential Eames,” a new exhibition at Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands’ ArtScience Museum, at TODAYonline.
10. Herman Miller is now on Instagram. Be sure to follow us here.
Featured in photo: Nelson Platform Bench by George Nelson, now 15% off in the Herman Miller Summer Sale. Details here.
June 5, 2013
Whistle is a housewares, gifts, and accessories shop created by veteran retail buyer and merchandiser Katie Gaertner. Opened in February of this year in the Sunset district of San Francisco, Whistle showcases an eye-popping spectrum of eclectic, joyful, and design-centric items handpicked by Katie, an avid world-traveler with extensive experience in the retail market. We invited Katie to give us a peek at Whistle’s wares and share a little bit of its musical soundtrack in this week’s Playlist. Take a listen.
May 29, 2013
This week’s Playlist comes from designer and illustrator Gavin Potenza. From his studio at The Buddy System in Brooklyn, NY, Gavin has created work for Google, Fortune Magazine, and recently, Herman Miller. Named a “Young Gun” by the Art Director’s Club, and a “Young & Hungry Creative” by HOW Magazine, Gavin creates work that deftly combines rich color palettes with masterful use of space, shape, and texture. A fan of the late-night design session, Gavin’s playlist is the perfect way to kick off your evening and for pushing-on till dawn. Check it out.
May 27, 2013
Wishing you rest (and perhaps a little play) this Memorial Day holiday.
Image: LIFE Magazine
May 22, 2013
Throw open the doors and windows, the first long weekend of the summer is upon us. Let’s kick it off with some of our favorite tunes from the past few months’ worth of Playlists.
Balance, Design, Products
May 21, 2013
We all hit mental blocks during our work week. Why not take a break and let your imagination run wild and free. You might be surprised at how a little spell of daydreaming will help you solve that tricky problem or clear that seemingly impassible obstacle. Here’s six ways to step outside yourself and daydream.