Balance, Design, Trends
May 16, 2013
Warmer weather delivers a few extra excuses for breaking out a bicycle for your work commute — or for just taking a break during a long day in your home office. In honor of tomorrow’s Bike to Work Day, here’s how a few work spaces accommodate the larger, sometimes unwieldy bodies of bicycles into their interior design (something we know a little bit about here at Herman Miller). Read more
May 14, 2013
The shared home office of photographer Christy Cassano-Meyer and web developer Kyle Meyer is a charming blend of vintage and modern style. Take a look through their creative space in Portland, Oregon, in this tour led by Christy’s words and photographic eye. Read more
Design, Products, Technology, Trends
May 13, 2013
NYCxDESIGN is New York City’s inaugural event to showcase and promote design of all disciplines. Held through Tuesday, May 21, it will celebrate NYC’s contributions to and embrace of design. Here are six great events you shouldn’t miss if you’re in the Big Apple for this citywide celebration.
May 10, 2013
Here is a look at what we’ve been bookmarking this week.
1. NYCxDESIGN, New York City’s inaugural event to showcase and promote design of all disciplines, starts today and runs through May 21.
2. “12 Homes Made from Shipping Containers” at Design Milk.
3. This piece on the power of co-working spaces by the New York Times.
4. Esoteric Survey’s post on photos of the Eames House from the Aline and Eero Saarinen Papers.
5. Dexinger’s look at our new Mirra 2 work chair by Studio 7.5.
6. This mid-century modern home in Phoenix, Arizona, renovated by John P. Twigg and Steve Watson at Plastolux.
7. The light-filled Berlin home by architectural firm + Quehl Miethe featured at automatism.
8. Inthralld’s look at the loft that houses boutique billboard company Prince Media Co. in New York City.
9. Info on “Michigan Modern: Design that Shaped America,” an exhibit beginning June 14 at Cranbrook Art Museum, on Dwell.com.
10. Another not-to-be-missed exhibition: Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec’s retrospective show at Les Arts Decoratif in Paris beginning September 1. Details at It’s Nice That.
Featured in photo: Osso Chair by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
May 9, 2013
How much creativity can be produced within one co-working space? Plenty, if you consider that this personality-packed workspace — courtesy of illustrator, art director, and artist Will Bryant — is within a stone’s throw of the desk of Kate Bingaman-Burt, an illustrator who gave us a look around her office digs just last month. Get a new perspective on their shared studio (also the headquarters for three other illustrators/designers) in this newest tour from Portland, Oregon. Read more
May 8, 2013
The narrative-driven work of artist, illustrator and designer Andy J. Miller combines bold, figurative imagery with abstract details and patterns like stars, spots, icons, and more. Though modern in influence, the work has a handcrafted feel to it, at once introspective and emotive. In addition to client for work the likes of Sony and Smart Car, Andy created the Indie Rock Coloring Book, a charity collaboration with the Yellow Bird Project. His site Art Directions offers online pep talks to artists and creatives. In this week’s Playlist, we asked Andy take a moment to pep us up with a sampling of his music tastes. Lend your ears.
May 7, 2013
He may be a full-time web designer and developer, but one look at the home workspace of Brad Cerasani and you know he’s also got music in his blood. In fact, the owner of the web shop Shedbot has written, recorded, and produced two albums with a trio called Hoist from his Winnipeg, Manitoba-based studio. Get a look at the high-tech haven in this latest tour. Read more
May 6, 2013
Explore the unique and innovative results that emerge when modern technology and design merge with traditional craftsmanship and artisanal skill.
May 3, 2013
Take a look at what’s on our radar this week.
1. Beautiful photography of modern interiors captured by Michael Wells via Plastolux.
2. This interview with brothers Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec on the Magis Facebook page.
3. Impressed by the launch of the new home decor site Domaine (and glad to see its love for Charles and Ray Eames).
4. Inspired by clue #4 in our “Everywhere in Your Day” contest: “Insane Photos Snapped From Kites” from Architizer.
5. “Brilliant Words of Advice from 14 Great Graphic Designers” (including Charles Eames) via Co.Design.
6. Contemporist’s feature on the simple elegance of Casa Sulla Morella by Studio Cittaarchitettura in Castelnovo di Sotto, Italy.
7. The fluorescent shades of green, yellow, and blue in this sports hall design in the Netherlands by Slangen + Koenis Architects (via Dezeen).
8. “Bold, punchy, in-your-face sculptures” by artist Matt W. Moore featured at It’s Nice That.
9. Interior Design‘s look back at the ”greatest hits” of Maharam, the textile company recently acquired by Herman Miller.
10. Don’t forget: May 5 is the last day to enter for a chance to win in our “Everywhere in Your Day” contest. Click here to find out more.
Featured in photo: Eames Desk Unit, Eames Storage Unit, and Eames Molded Plastic Chair by Charles and Ray Eames
May 2, 2013
Today’s clue in our “Everywhere in Your Day” Contest takes its inspiration from the continual design journey of Charles and Ray Eames. For these designers, everything was a process and an exploration. And when they married and began working together in the 1940s, part of their journey involved exploring seating solutions crafted from one piece of material — a curved, single-shell form in which the seat and back are one. Read more