Since its debut in the early 1870s, the paper clip has held documents together with grace, style, and smarts. (And these days, it can even hold together your sanity—how many times have you stretched one out to eject a stuck CD or DVD?) Take a look at our picks for its modern-day counterparts.
1. I Am a Paper Paper Clip, $6.99 (set of 50) Made from 100% sustainable wood pulp, these colorfully clever clips offer an eco-friendly alternative to traditional metal options. Get it: Pop Deluxe
2. Metal Paper Clips – Medium, set of 8 for $6.50 Bold, glossy, and as sexy as an office staple can probably get, these shiny metal clips can easily show off your best work. Get it: Lincoln Stationers
3. Index Clips from MUJI, $3.50 (set of 25) Separate and organize notes and documents with these simple, streamlined white resin clips. Get it: Momastore.org
4. Lightning Bolt Paper Clips, $7.95 (set of 50) Presenting a big idea? Get the message across in more ways than one with the zig-zagginess of these shaped metal clips. Get it: Lincoln Stationers
5. Talk Bubble Paper Clips, $9.00 (set of 25) Call it out! These attention-getting paper clips leave enough room for you to write a brief message inside the bubble. Get it: Kate’s Paperie