As the waning weeks of the season whistle by, equip your Eames Wire Base Low night table or Nelson Basic Cabinet Series Bookcase with a little design reading with these six great books of art and design.
1. Balthazar Korab: Architect of Photography, John Comazzi - As a celebrated photographer of iconic architecture, there is perhaps no better portfolio of the mid-century masters than Korab’s. Comazzi’s book chronicles the photographer’s origins and career path from Eastern Europe to becoming Eero Saarinen’s staff photographer and beyond. Visit Fast Company Design for a peak and get yours on IndieBound or Amazon.
2. Handcrafted Modern Europe: At Home with MidCentury Designers, Leslie Williamson - Photographer Leslie Williamson is currently developing a new book of European mid-century architecture from 13 notable architects and designers — including Alvar Aalto, Gae Aulenti, and Bruno Mathsson. Read more about the book’s development and become a supporter on Kickstarter.
3. Irving Harper Works in Paper, Michael Maharam - There is, of course, the Irving Harper you know: designer of the iconic Nelson Ball Clock and Marshmallow Sofa. A Harper you may be less familiar with is revealed in this new monograph, with a look at more than 300 of his personal paper sculptures. Find a copy from IndieBound or Amazon.
4. Charley Harper’s Animal Kingdom, Todd Oldham - If you think you’ve seen the work of Charley Harper, then Todd Oldham’s new compendium of more than 300 previously unseen animal illustrations will be a breath of fresh fauna. An ideal companion to An Illustrated Life. Get one from Charley Harper Prints.
5. Thomas Heatherwick: Making, Thomas Heatherwick – Explore this first print retrospective of innovative and award-winning designer Thomas Heatherwick, creator of the Magis Spun Chair and “The Cauldron” from the London Olympics Opening Ceremonies. Check it out on IndieBound and Amazon.
6. Eames: Beautiful Details, Eames Demetrios - Dive deep into the inspiring and collaborative work of Ray and Charles Eames with this vibrant exhibit-in-a-book by Eames Demetrios. The couple’s art, joy, and zest for problem-solving design are on full display. Get your copy from IndieBound or Amazon.
*Planning to be in the Sacramento area in the next 12 months? Don’t miss The California Museum’s “Ray Eames: A Century of Modern Design” exhibit, open now through February 2014.
Photos linked within text.