Studio 7.5 believes the complexities of modern design are best managed with a team effort. And as we learn in week six of the Why Design series on Herman Miller, the design collaborative — whose work includes Mirra and Setu chairs — engages their collective problem-solving skills by joining together for lunch every day. In the spirit of their collaborative eating, check out these six ways to a working lunch.
1. Mirra Chair, Studio 7.5 – Take a mid-day break and roll yourself over to the lunch table in the highly-supportive Mirra Chair. The award-winning chair uses fewer components and yet offers unparalleled support and comfort thanks to its PostureFit back and AireWeave suspension. Balanced and cool, perfect for every part of your day. Customize yours at Herman Miller.
2. The Just Bento Cookbook, Makiko Itoh – JustBento.com, the blog from Makiko Itoh has over 150,000 followers who clammer for her delicious, practical and healthy Bento recipes. Re-invigorate your brown bag lunch with 150 Japanese and not-so-Japanese ideas. Pick it up from Amazon. (And check out the great Bento boxes from Bento & Co.)
3. Setu Side Chair, Studio 7.5 – Ready for lunch? As the Setu owner’s guide politely suggests: Just sit down. No adjustment levers, no knobs, just movement mimicking support thanks to Setu’s innovative Kinematic Spine and Lyris 2 suspension. (And in the not too distant future, sit down around the forthcoming Setu Table, too.) Find all the Setu Chairs at Herman Miller.
4. Fruit Bloom, Laurens van Wieringen – In many countries, it’s customary to follow a meal with the sharing of fruit. The Fruit Bloom from designer Laurens van Wieringen is the perfect sharing centerpiece. Eye-catching and fun, your team can pick fruit from the tree to keep their creative (and fruit) juices flowing. Find one at YLiving.com.
5. Lunch Pot, Daniel Black and Martin Blum – Abandon plastic bags and deli containers with the stacking Lunch Pot. Seal soup, pastas, and other delicious lunch options in two watertight pots, and strap them together with a handy spoon/fork utensil. The microwaveable, dishwasher-safe pots nest for easy storage. Available at the MoMA Store.
6. Bambu Spork & Cork – Speaking of sporks, eschew plastic flatware with this perfectly portable, naturally strong and stain-resistant organic bamboo utensil. Take the spork anywhere in its durable (and washable) cork sleeve. Ideal for work and the occasional field trip to the park. Get one at Bambu.
Photos linked within text.