So much design, so little time. (And with the holidays upon us, so little extra money.) Get in the know and increase your design-savvy without breaking the bank. Explore these six great ways to engage in authentic design, for less.
1. Digital Design Magazines - The digital publishing revolution is in full swing. More and more magazines have taken to the tablet with compelling, richly detailed digital editions. It’s an affordable design experience at your fingertips. Check out the Edition29 series of architecture, art, and lifestyle magazines, including explorations of the modern dwelling in Edition29 Housed. Or click over to DesignBureau for a bi-monthly dialogue of design inspiration.
2. Join an Art & Design Museum - Are you near a design museum? An architecture or historic home museum? Annual museum memberships yield a year’s worth of education and inspiration while simultaneously supporting the creative community (and saving you money, too). Try the Museum of Arts and Design in New York, the Chicago Atheneum – Museum of Architecture and Design, or the Architecture and Design Museum in Los Angeles.
3. Renegade Craft Fair - Throughout the U.S. and even across the pond in London, the Renegrade Craft Fair brings together hundreds of artists, designers, and craftspeople showcasing their work. Explore an incredibly broad range of design products (and prices) in cities like Austin, Chicago, Brooklyn, and more. Keep an eye out in your town for other indie craft fairs, too — it’s a huge and exciting movement.
4. Design in Your Community - Do you live near a college with a design or architecture school? Does the AIA or AIGA have a chapter where you live? Is there a Design Within Reach… within reach? Identifying the design institutions and even retailers in your area is a fast-track to all kinds of affordable — even free — events, lectures, classes, and more. Learn, network, and see what’s out there.
5. Herman Miller Sale - Find your favorite of the most quintessential modern designs, for less, during the annual Herman Miller Sale. Enjoy a storewide 15% off everything from Aeron office chairs to the Magis Tavolo XZ3 Table. It’s all on sale now until December 10, so visit Herman Miller today.
6. Find & Fund Design - Online funding platforms like Kickstarter and IndieGoGo are overflowing with new and innovative design projects looking for partners and supporters. You get in on the ground level of new designs and instantly become a part of their development. Plus, each project you support offers a range of great design dividends depending on how much you’d like to contribute. That’s a great design deal.
Photos linked within text.