1. Design as Art, Bruno Munari - Explore the role that beautiful, functional, intuitive design plays in every day life, as illuminated by the designer Picasso called “the new Leonardo.” An inspired book on visual, graphic, and industrial design from Bruno Munari. Read up on it from Penguin Books.
2. Magis Chair First, Stefano Giovannoni - Strong and stackable, lithe and lightweight, this is the chair the steps lively into dining room, patio, and playroom. Air molded, available in multiple colors and sold in sets of four. Get them at Herman Miller.
3. NacSound Geminos Speakers, Francesco Pellisari - Created exclusively for Apple, the two-speaker Geminos system resembles a pair of space pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Control power and volume with a simple stroke via the Magic Touch control system. Make a friend in Europe to get them, via the Apple Store.
4. Tommy Lamp – Cut Collection, Dezign Studio - Available in four polyester painted colors, the Tommy Lamp is a laser-cut metal light with a sleek, urban personality, perfect for the nightstand, desktop, or bookcase. Also check out Emily from the Doily Sisters Collection. Light one up at LamIdea.
5. Heller Stacking Dinnerware, Massimo Vignelli - Melamine dinnerware’s gold standard, Vignelli’s clean and compact design won the Compasso d’Oro (oro means “gold” in Italian) award for good design in 1964 and has been an icon ever since. Still in production by Heller; resides in the MoMA and many other modern collections. Set your table at the MoMA Store.
6. Sapien Bookcase, Bruno Rainaldi - Milan designer (and teacher) Bruno Rainaldi turns the average library on its back with the 10- and 14-shelf Sapien Bookcase. Able to accommodate between 50 and 70 books in a very small, upright space, the Sapien is strong, sleek new classic. Get one at Design Within Reach.
Photos: Linked within text.