The founders of London-based Industrial Facility, designers Sam Hecht and Kim Colin round out the final week of the Why Design series on Herman Miller. Explore how the design duo makes the connection between design, daily life, and the environments we inhabit. Innovation, form, and good old common sense abound among these Six Ways to Sam Hecht and Kim Colin.
1. 2021 Bag - Catch this carry-all that catalogs the names of notable designers in history. Printed on Fairtrade Certified Cotton and perfect for toting useful small things from here to there. Bag one at Retail Facility before they’re gone.
2. Usefulness in Small Things - Drawing attention to the often forgotten world of mass-produced design, Sam and Kim present this collection of innovative products from around the world. Subtitled “Items from the Under a Fiver Collection,” the authors detail form and function, both when it fails and when it succeeds. Available from The Shop at the Cooper-Hewitt.
3. Mattiazzi Branca Chair - Drawing parallels with nature (tree branches, for example), Hecht and Colin created lines that twist, converge, and branch off. Meanwhile the Branca is comfortable, lightweight, and stackable. Available in black anilin ash, natural wax ash, and chocolate with natural ash seat. Choose yours at Herman Miller.
4. Bell Alarm Clock - With its loud ring and brilliant color, this is the alarm clock that demands your attention asleep or awake. Its larger, rear-mounted bell offers a distinctly bolder ring, along with LED illumination, snooze, and AA battery power. Set yourself up at A+R.
5. Twin Stopper - This pair of silicone rubber doorstops stop at nothing to put your portals in their place. The stops’ asymmetrical ends accommodate the gap beneath any door, be it thick or thin. Choose from red or black at YLiving.
6. Mattiazzi Branca Table - Synchronizing perfectly with its namesake chairs, the Branca Table’s slim and sleek silhouette incorporates unique details. Note the sliced, tapering legs, or its gently curved and supple tabletop — simple, uncluttered lines that yield a natural, modern beauty. Find one at Herman Miller.