June 28, 2011
1. Pino Get out your work aggressions (and keep your notes neat) with this small voodoo doll-shaped memoboard. Get info: danielcaramelo.com
2. Float Pendant Light This striking collaboration between designer Benjamin Hubert and Scandinavian lighting manufacturer & Tradition is handcrafted from a large block of recycled agglomerate cork. Get Info: benjaminhubert.co.uk
3. Haute Surface Set, $19.00 Use these houndstooth-inspired cork trivets as a coasters or mousepads, or interlock them to cover and protect the surface of your desk. Get it: Vivavi
4. Cork Peg, $50.00 Make space for extra supplies by hanging them on your office wall using these simple hooks. Get it: Molo
5. Cork Tray, $150.00 Letters and bills will look lovely in this handmade (and handy) piece by San Francisco-based Urbana Design. Get it: Branch
Images linked to their sources within the numbered text
March 2, 2010
I’m excited to share our first Unplggd post. On Tuesdays and Thursdays Lifework will be swapping stories with the team over at Apartment Therapy‘s Unplggd. They cover technology in a smart accessible way that I think you will really appreciate.
“Watch yourselves, green addicts, this one might make your heart stop. While we recently fell in love with Corky, the scrolling, clicking, and movement-powered mouse made from cork, there’s plenty more out there in the sea of cork gizmos and credenza mashups. Who said you couldn’t be cool going green?
1) Corky is a mouse powered by your movements rather than batteries. Unfortunately, looks like Corky is just a concept, but we can only hope that after the Greener Gadgets conference this wireless mouse, made from recycled cork and plastic, makes it to a store near you.
2) For those of you looking for an eco-conscious gadget and like their tech accessories to be made of sustainable materials, the JAVOedge’s 3G Cork iPhone Case seems to fit quite nicely.
3) Grab a fancy surge protector covered in cork seen at the Dutch design fair in Eindhoven.
4) Repurpose a media credenza and have it double as a place to put down movie lists, other productive things you should be doing – that sorta stuff.
5) Turn your cork into a USB drive. Or er… buy it for $51.
6) Use it as a laptop case (we probably suggest keeping hot laptops out of this one). Available for Macbook Pros 13-15-inches.
7) Or turn it into a laptop stand! Genius idea from the team at eGenius.”
This story appears in partnership with Unplggd, a site for people who embrace technology and design in their home.