April 12, 2013
Take a look at what’s been on our radar this week.
1. Five black and white offices that are “anything but boring” at Apartment Therapy (agreed).
2. Happy to see our Mirra Chair in one of the greenest structures in the world: the new Center for Sustainable Landscapes, designed by Design Alliance Architects for Pittsburgh’s Phipps Conservatory (via Architizer).
3. The “Quiet Motion” installation by designers Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec for BMW i at Milan’s Salone del Mobile 2013 (via URDesign Magazine).
4. More Bouroullecs: check out the brothers’ Steelwood Galva for Magis (a new iteration of their Steelwood chair and stool in galvanized steel and beech wood) along with other photos from Salone del Mobile from Wallpaper* Magazine.
5. And even more from Salone del Mobile: enjoying Snap Assembly’s Tumblr coverage of the show.
6. The solitary Eames Molded Plywood Lounge in this composer’s Wisconsin practice studio designed by Johnsen Schmaling Architects at Dezeen.
7. Classic mid-century chair stencils by Stencil 1 spotted by Design Milk.
8. The sunny Fresno House — nicely situated between the forest and the ocean in Carilo, Argentina — co-designed by Felix Raspall and Federico Papandrea and featured at Dornob.
9. The thoughtfully designed L23 House by Pitágoras Arquitectos in Portugal found at Archello.
10. Patrick Rochon’s eye-popping photos of wakeboarders riding special boards affixed with LEDs at Colossal.
Featured in photo: Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman, Eames Walnut Stools, and Eames Sofa by Charles and Ray Eames
November 29, 2012
If you find yourself stretching your sore neck and back, rubbing your dry eyes, swallowing a lump of dry nothing, or gasping for clean air, you might be the victim of some unhealthy home-office habits. But it’s never too late to make a change. Check out these five quick reminders from Apartment Therapy Tech for a better you at your desk, then take a look at more tips from Herman Miller’s research on ergonomics for working in a safe, effective way during your work day. Read more
May 16, 2012
Affirming his affinity for modern and mid-century modern design, designer Tyler Goodro created Plastolux in 2007. With a razor-sharp focus on interiors, furniture, and architecture from the mid-20th century to the present, Tyler has compiled an impressive collection of arresting images and information on the blog. Currently the creative director at TiLite, an innovative wheelchair manufacturer, Tyler is also developing furniture designs and designing a series of lamps from cut and blasted wine bottles. We caught up with Tyler to see how music fits into his prolific work for this week’s Playlist. Read more
May 8, 2012
Mom does it all: teacher, chef, protector, provider, superhero, and all-around guardian angel. As Mother’s Day approaches, here are six ways to give back to the woman who’s always given so much. Read more