April 11, 2013
Here at Herman Miller the “Everywhere in Your Day” contest is in full swing. Rounding out the first week, we present these six items inspired by today’s contest clue, now awaiting your clever, watchful eye. And don’t forget to enter here — you could win the grand prize of an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman!
January 29, 2013
Three years ago, Paul and Liz David decided to leave life in Los Angeles behind and return to their Midwestern roots by moving their home (and their son) to Omaha, Nebraska. Today, they share an office where Paul runs the graphic design company Basik Design, and Liz works part-time as a freelance photo editor. In this latest tour, Paul give us a glimpse at the couple’s extensive collection of furnishings — a smart mix of contemporary and classic designs. Read more
Design, Products, Trends
January 21, 2013
Through January 26, the Yale School of Architecture is featuring “George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher,” an exhibition taking a look at the pioneering designer’s work, including iconic furniture pieces like the Marshmallow Sofa and Platform Bench, his innovative workspace designs, and much more. Take a long weekend and catch the exhibit along with these six ways to explore the surroundings in New Haven, CT.
December 28, 2012
Every Friday, we scour the Web to present our weekly picks for the ten best articles published by design-minded sites, blogs, and magazines. During this final full week of 2012, however, we’re taking a look at the top ten posts that inspired us, challenged us, and kept us thinking all year long. Enjoy — and see you back here next Friday with our first list for the new year.
1. A must-see: “The Handmade Process Behind Your Eames Chair,” an insightful video taken in our manufacturing facility by Co.Design.
2. The launch of the George Nelson Foundation’s new website, created by Hello Design, at georgenelsonfoundation.org.
3. Yves Béhar’s keynote speech on why designers should love the design process via 99U.
4. Dwell’s Q&A about authentic design with Marj Mojzak, Herman Miller’s Director of Retail.
5. “Ray’s Displays: The Thoughtful Displays of Ray Eames” at the Archives of American Art blog.
6. The New York Times‘ interview with Hilda Longinotti, George Nelson’s former secretary and oftentimes furniture model (check her out alongside the Nelson Marshmallow Sofa in the article’s featured photo).
7. “The Wit and Wisdom of Alexander Girard” from Metropolis Magazine.
8. The can’t-be-missed photos in “LIFE With Charles and Ray Eames: The Simple Art of Beauty” at life.time.com.
9. This insightful interview at Mr. Porter with Jason Cohn, writer and co-director of Eames: The Architect and the Painter.
10. The Design and Architecture Crossword from the New York Times and Design Within Reach. (Here’s a hint for 95 Across.)
Photo: Francois Dischinger for Herman Miller / Eames Softpad Side Chairs, Eames Table Segmented Base
Balance, Design, Products
November 9, 2012
Here’s a look at everything we’ve been reading over the past week.
1. The New York Times‘ interview with Hilda Longinotti, George Nelson’s former secretary and oftentimes furniture model (check her out alongside the Nelson Marshmallow Sofa in the article’s featured photo).
2. “A Rare Look at the Eames Office’s Graphic Design” from Co.Design.
3. Wowed by the Thesayboat houseboat designed and owned by Marek Ridky in the Czech Republic, spotted at Design Milk.
4. Could you spend time working in the Cocoon 1 by Micasa Lab? (Via Inhabitat.)
5. The Pandora office in Chicago (full of Eames Aluminum Group Management Chairs, Eames Soft Pad Management Chairs, Mirra Chairs, and more) designed by Eastlake Studio, featured at Inthralld (photo above).
6. Last summer’s LIGHTlab 5.1 installation designed by VAV Architects in Helsinki, Finland, as detailed at CollabCubed.
7. The Best Business Hotels of 2012, according to Wallpaper*.
8. This serene collection of contemporary design photos shot by architectural photographer Hélène Binet featured at NOWNESS.
9. The SAYL Chairs gracefully supporting the Skullcandy office in Zurich, Switzerland, at ArchDaily.
10. This inspiring townhouse in Lisbon, Portugal, with vertical gardens and a rooftop pool — a “unique link with nature” in the middle of a busy city — found at Dezeen.
Photo: Eastlake Studio via Inthralld
Balance, Design, Technology
May 1, 2012
Inspired (always) by the wit and the clean, graphic lines of the vintage Herman Miller ads featured in yesterday’s post from our sister blog Discover, we set out to find desktop wallpapers to that were created in the same spirit. Here are a few standouts.