March 2, 2010
It’s held “Back in 5 min.” and “Shhh–on a conference call” notes to your door. It’s fastened overstuffed envelopes containing overdue client invoices. It’s even helped wrap last-minute birthday gifts for a co-worker or two. So after all that work, why not give tape a nice place to put its feet up after a long, hard day at the office? (We’ve cheated a little with this one – think of it as a baker’s dozen. I couldn’t resist including Amy’s Container Store find – it’s stylish and cheap! – Cerentha)
Jonas Damon Moby Tape Dispenser, $30 Call it contemporary. Call it cute. Call it on trend. Just don’t call it Ishmael. Get it: Design Public
Singgih Kartono Tape Dispenser, $24 Tape goes green. Hand-crafted in an Indonesian farming village from naturally harvested mahogany and sonokeling wood, this dispenser follows sustainable practices like no other. Get it: Design Public
Lexon – Dolmen Tape Dispenser, $39 That co-worker who constantly borrows your stuff may conveniently “forget” to return this sleek wood and steel design by Elise Berthier. (You’ve been warned.) Get it: Unica Home
“Anything” Tape Dispenser by Michael Sodeau, $39 We love, well, anything from the “Anything” collection by Michael Sodeau and Suikosha (case in point: this post on fab staplers)—and this tape dispenser is no exception. Get it: Unica Home
Black+Blum Heavy Weight Aluminium Tape Dispenser, $50 Weighing in at 2.2lbs and sporting a forged stainless-steel blade, it’s sexy enough to be a showpiece and heavy enough to be a weapon (not that we are suggesting anything). Get it: Amazon
Acrylic Tape Dispenser, $9.99 Clear acrylic design makes a simple style statement without breaking the bank. Get it: The Container Store
Design, Products, Technology
February 22, 2010
You spent a good deal of time and money choosing the perfect laptop—so be sure to outfit it with something worthy of your efforts. Start with our picks for cooler-than-you-thought-they-could-be cases and bags.
1. Mandarina Duck Knock Business Expandable Horizontal Tote with 15” PC Case, $205.00 Works as hard as you do (and looks as good, too). The interior of this chic multitasker contains a removable laptop case with ultra-thick padding and easy-to-carry handle. Get it: unicahome.com (Image via unicahome.com)
2. S N A Pdesign 15″ UNI-LAP, $59.95 With its snappy red details and mod design, this durable unisex bag can easily double as a portfolio or everyday carrying case. Get it: supermarkethq.com (Image via supermarkethq.com)
3. Muji Nylon PC Case, $35.25 Smart look, smarter price. This simple nylon case fits most sizes of laptops and includes pockets for storing small accessories. Get it: muji.us (Image via muji.us)
4. Rubi handbag-brief $295.00 Named for a rapidly growing municipality of Barcelona, Rubi is the sexiest workbag around. Carry it using short handles or its detachable strap. Get it: knomobags.com (Image via knomobags.com)
5. The Blackstone by ETCETERA MEDIA, $210.00 Cozy up to this naturally water-resistant wool felt shoulder bag with an interior crafted from 100% post-consumer recycled Knoll fabric—making it almost stain-proof (and easier on the Earth). Get it: supermarkethq.com (Image via supermarkethq.com)
Balance, Design, Products, Technology
December 23, 2009
We asked Yves Behar, who designed the Leaf and Ardea lights for Herman Miller, to think about gifts that would sit beautifully in anyone’s home office. Here are his recommendations.
1. Remember to drink water and stay hydrated with the tranSglass® Lidded Carafe - a collaboration with Guatemalan craftsmen and Tord Boontje’s combines old-world craftsmanship and sophisticated design, each vessel is a unique, one-of-a-kind piece. Just add a stick of carbon to purify the water, and enjoy.
2. Working and speaking to people on the phone while having hands-free is a must (to take notes, draw cartoons, surf the web to plan the evening during that longish conference call). I designed the Jawbone Prime Earcandy headset in everyone’s favorite colors. It’s a nice way to be able to do two things a once.
3. Something inspiring and spiritual on a desk is important, like some flowers. I would pick Arik Levy’s Ceremony. They are flower sticks made for the Turkish brand Gaia and Gino. Choose clear, silver or bronze.
4. And enjoy your own music, without having to ask cubicle neighbors! These Semi-Audiophile Ceramic Speakers for Ipod or Computer by Joey Roth are bespoke and affordable (under 500$). The ceramic speakers are made from porcelain, cork, and baltic birch. each material is minimally finished, left to add its natural beauty to the design.
5. And take a break once a day for some body stretches and light exercise: an eco friendly yoga mat made of PER (Polymer Environmental Resin), which is a unique material that is more sensitive to the environment and your health is a good place to start.