This week instead of running a list of sites I’m going to do a round-up of charities who are doing important work in Japan. At Herman Miller we’re responding in a few different ways. As a business we have made donations to the relief efforts and so have our employees. We will also be donating 5% of our online sales to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. The American Red Cross is in daily contact with its counterparts in Japan. We’ll continue those donations through to April 16. We feel this is one thing we can do together.
Above: Devastated Landscape: An emergency worker cycles past debris in Yamada, Iwate Prefecture, March 17, 2011. From Time magazine’s excellent photo essay of the disaster. Photo credit: ALY SONG / REUTERS
Below are 10 sites I found that give you more chances to help.
1. The Red Cross: Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a one time $10 donation from your phone. ou can also donate via iTunes or Causes on Facebook. Living Social is also offering to match your $5 donation to the Red Cross. They’ve raised over $1.5 million so far.
3. International Medical Corps: Text MED to 80888 to make a $10 donation from your phone.
4. Global Giving: Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund. Provides relief and aid to victims.
5. Save the Children Text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222 to make a $10 donation from your phone.
6. Ark (Animal Refuge Kansai) Help for animals made homeless by the earthquake and tsunami.
10. Help fund Japanese architect Shigeru Ban’s partition system for emergency shelters. Donate here.