If you’re like me you’ll be joining the masses and travelling over Thanksgiving. My laptop will be tucked into my Herman Miller bag – a simple take on the messenger bag in the same Pellicle fabric we use for our Aeron chairs. It’s the perfect size for my laptop, phone and various cables. Unfortunately we don’t sell them so I went on the lookout for some great alternatives that you can actually get your hands on. What did I look for? Versatility, ease of use and minimal styling. You really don’t need a ton of bells and whistles with a laptop bag. You want to be able to get your computer in and out of the bag easily and you want a nice wide shoulder strap so it doesn’t get uncomfortable while your trekking through the airport. Waterproofing is a plus, as is a padded internal laptop sleeve. Here’s what I found – let me know if you’ve got a favorite.
1. 13″ Messenger Laptop Bag in dark gray corduroy. Fastens closed with magnetic snaps so easy to get your laptop out when you’re going through airport security. And if you need an extra pocket or three the designers can customize this bag for you. $70
2. Laptop bag in nylon. This pared-back design will house your laptop in waterproof style. Like the design above it can be customized with extra pockets for cords, your phone and anything else you might fancy. $69
3. Hack Lederware Workbag in surplus Swiss army fabric and deerskin suede. Designed by Cologne-based Christoph Hack the bag has two front exterior pockets under the flap for easy access to your phone and travel documents. Two interior pockets, one lined with wool to protect a laptop. $240
4. Eco Portabile Corta EPC2 Laptop Bag in organic canvas and felt. The pocket on the front is made from wool felt, the large one on the back is canvas. Inside are 3 gusseted interior pockets for battery, cables, iPod, small hard drive, etc. And the laptop carrier section is padded and fits most 13″ laptops (not just Apple). Adjustable shoulder strap, magnetic snap closure. $210
5. Jack Spade Computer Bag in nylon and canvas. Nice wide shoulder strap, Velcro closure for easy in/out and a hot orange interior with a padded laptop envelope and pockets for cables, phone and notebook. $195