Depending on what kind of a user you are, you might use or ignore the widgets on your Dashboard. Lion has made them easier to access, thanks to a swipe gesture, but what widgets will serve you best? Anyone working from home will appreciate this round up.
1. PEMDAS Scientific Calculator: This calculator widget has won an Apple Design award, and it’s quite easy to use. There’s an equation history view, and you can switch between degrees and radians. It’s a step up from the calculator included with OS X and will serve when you need to crunch numbers.
2. iStat Nano: This little widget (above) allows you to check up the stats of your Mac, including CPU and memory usage, hard drive space, bandwith usage, fan speeds and temperatures, thanks to animated menus and transitions. If it’s not enough, you can upgrade for free to the iStat Pro.
3. The Weather Channel Widget: When you just quickly want to check the forecast without opening up a website or an app, like Weather HD, this widget will give you more information than the included Weather widget. It includes a radar map and will notify you if there are any alerts in your region.
4. Currency Converter: If you often need to convert currencies, then this widget will do the job better than Google, thanks to its comprehensive list of currencies, including some legacy currencies, unrecognized currencies, and virtual currencies like the Linden Dollar from Second Life.
5. MightyMonitor: This widget will display the current battery status of your Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad. If you use these peripherals with your Mac, then it makes sense to monitor them. This widget monitors all three and you can check the status with a glance. The widget will even change color, making it easy to realize when you are running out of juice.
By Range Govindan.
This story appears in partnership with Unplggd, a site for people who embrace technology and design in their home.