At Herman Miller, we believe that the future quality of human life is dependent on both economic vitality and a healthy, sustainable natural environment. We do not see these goals as mutually exclusive, but inextricably linked. Mankind's future depends on meeting the needs and aspirations of a growing global population, while enhancing and protecting the ecosystem on which all life depends.
In 2004, we put in place a set of environmental goals that included a zero operational footprint and 100% renewable electrical energy. Ten years later, we had largely achieved these goals, having reduced our footprint by 91% and with 100% of our electrical energy coming from renewable resources for over three years. Given the progress we had made towards these goals, we believed it was time to expand our efforts in advocating for the environment.
Our new 10-year sustainability strategy, Earthright, begins with three principles: positive transparency, products as living things and becoming greener together. We have focused our goals around the smart use of resources, eco-inspired design and becoming community driven. Most importantly, we are finding new ways to involve even more of our employees, suppliers and customers.
Our commitment is to achieve the following goals by 2023:
- Zero waste
- 50% reduction in water use (114 million litres)
- 50% reduction in energy intensity
- 50% more local renewables (50,000 mwh)
- 100% Design for the Environment approved products
- 100% level 3 certified products
- 113,000 tonnes of end-of-life product recovered per year
We recognise the challenges inherent in setting and meeting these goals, but we believe the exercise of sound strategic thinking across our enterprise, coupled with evolving technologies, will enable us to achieve our objectives. Engaging everyone in our community in this endeavour is vital. Our executive leadership has clearly outlined this commitment.
Herman Miller Safety and Sustainability Policy
At Herman Miller, we approach safety and sustainability in two ways:.
From the top down, we set goals for safety and sustainability and monitor performance to these goals on our corporate scorecard.
From the bottom up, we empower our workers with a passion for human and ecosystem health and wellness to participate, leading by example and through organised programmes.
These approaches meet in the middle, with Herman Miller’s Environmental Health and Safety Management System (EHSMS), always striving to improve through commitments to:
- Promoting safety knowledge, well-being both at work and at home, and the prevention of injuries and ill health.
- Acting on the prevention of pollution, the elimination of all forms of waste and the efficient use of all resources.
- Advocating for better, more sustainable products with safer material chemistry.
- Sharing best practices and consulting with all stakeholders, reporting regularly, and going beyond compliance with regulations and other requirements.