Becoming a Diverse Supplier
How We Select Diversity Suppliers
Herman Miller's process for selecting diversity suppliers is the same as selecting our other suppliers, with the exception that diversity suppliers must be certified. We take great care to provide equal opportunities for suppliers. Please see the Supplier Diversity Requirements page for more details. Our goal is to build quality relationships with our diverse suppliers. The following steps outline the typical procedure Herman Miller uses to select direct suppliers.
Step One: Submitting the Supplier Profile Form
The first step to becoming a Herman Miller supplier is to complete and submit our Supplier Profile Form. Because we select suppliers based on our current supply needs, a standard response timeframe cannot be provided.
Step Two: Conducting the Preliminary Supplier Assessment
Herman Miller then conducts a preliminary supplier assessment, which involves an on-site visit for direct suppliers and an interview and/or capabilities presentation for an indirect supplier. This phase allows us to better understand a supplier's qualifications and will help determine whether a supplier meets our requirements and supply needs. You may download a copy of the Preliminary Assessment Form to review.
A key factor to becoming a supplier is the ability to meet Herman Miller's quality goals. To ensure these quality, service, and value goals, we expect our suppliers to meet the following requirements:
- Zero PPM defective product and 100 percent on-time delivery. PPM performance goals--not to be exceeded--are set annually for quality and delivery.
- Applied continuous improvement initiatives that provide high-quality components, at the lowest cost, and in the shortest lead-time.
- Employment of technology to support speed in communication and data transfer. Internet capability a must.
- Social and environmental responsibility supporting diversified businesses and protection of our environment.
- A continued active commitment to reduce cost.
- Disciplined accountability for the timely and reliable release of new products and enhancements.
Step Three: Approving Suppliers to Submit Bids and RFQs
Once a potential supplier passes the assessment phase, Herman Miller informs the business that it is now able to participate in new bids, and they are included in the bidding process as opportunities become available.
Step Four: Submitting Bids and RFQs
As an approved Herman Miller supplier, a company can respond to bids and RFQs. Please see our RFQ and Purchasing Process page for more details.
Understanding Herman Miller's Supply Needs
The majority of our supply needs revolve around our current product portfolio and production cycle. The best opportunity for new direct suppliers to work with us is at the planning stage prior to a product launch.
Please use the following list of items as a general guide to our company's